Ever find yourself needing a little extra help putting on compressions socks? Don’t have a tool around to help? No worries!
I’ll show you a FREE way to put on a compression sock without tools using only a grocery bag.
Compression socks are important for management of many common conditions. So, if you are in a pinch or just want a little extra help putting on compression socks, this technique can be a great way to continue to management your conditions with compression socks.
This technique will only require a plastic grocery bag and scissors. However, if you want a longer-term solution, you could consider a compression sock donning tool. If you want to see how these tools work, we’ve done another blog post on how to put on compression socks with a compression sock tool.
Estimated Time: 10 mins
Estimated Cost: Free
- Plastic Bag
- Stretch out plastic bag and cut an opening for bag
- Place compression sock over the bag
- Place foot and pull handles
- Pull the bag out and drop over your foot
Step 1: Stretch and Cut Opening for Bag
Holding the ends of a grocery bag in both hands, pull and extend the bag into a straight-line.
Using a pair of scissors, cut a large opening in the bottom of the bag leaving a large hole where the bottom once was. It is important to cut the bottom of the bag. You will need the handles on the top of the bag later.
Step 2: Place Compression Sock Over The Bag
Place the sock over the bag with the hole of the bag at the toe of the compression sock and the handles sticking out the top of the compression sock.
Step 3: Place Foot and Pull Handles
Now, carefully place your the foot into the opening of the sock and pull the handles on the bag until your foot is securely in the compression sock. Continue pulling the bag the rest of the way up the leg, which will pull the compression sock over the remainder of the leg.
Step 4: Pull the Bag Out
When the compression sock is all the way on your leg, pull the bag out the top of the sock and drop it off your foot.
Check the sock for wrinkles, pinches, or rolls to ensure it is on properly.
That’s it! A quick, free trick to putting on a compression sock using no tools.
Note: This post contains affiliate links that provide a small commission without any added cost to the user.
More Recent Posts
- How to Install a Grab Bar in a Tile ShowerDo you want to put a grab bar in your shower, but your shower is a tile shower?Not sure how to do it?I rave about grab bars all the time. They are one of the simplest and best ways for patients to have safety in their …
- How to Use a Toilet After Hip ReplacementAre you or a loved one faced with a hip replacement? Wondering how to use a toilet after hip replacement surgery? This post will detail how to use a toilet after a hip replacement surgery. Specifically, we will cover the equipment needed, transfer technique, and hygiene …
- The Complete Guide to Shower Seating (2021)The freedom to bathe without fear, pain, or exhaustion is one of my highest priorities for every client I work with. In fact, as an Occupational Therapist, helping someone with complex challenges of bathing for the first time following a traumatic event or surgery is one …